1. Sit in a straight, comfortable chair in a well lit place in front of your computer.
2. Log onto Facebook and Gmail. Check your email.
3. Read over the assignment carefully, to make certain you understand it.
4. Walk down to the vending machines and buy some chocolate to help you concentrate.
5. Check your email.
6. Call up a friend and ask if he/she wants to go to grab a coffee. Just to get settled down and ready to work.
7. When you get back to your room, sit in a straight, comfortable chair in a clean, well lit place.
8. Read over the assignment again to make absolutely certain you understand it.
9. Check your email.
10. You know, you haven’t written to that kid you met at camp since fourth grade. You’d better write that letter now and get it out of the way so you can concentrate.
11. Look at your teeth in the bathroom mirror.
12. Grab some mp3′s off of itunes.
13. Check your email.
14. Facebook chat with one of your friends about the future.
15. Check your email.
16. Listen to your new mp3s and download some more.
17. Phone your friend on the other floor and ask if she’s started writing yet. Exchange derogatory remarks about your professor, the course, the college, and the world at large.
18. Walk to the store and buy a pack of gum. You’ve probably run out.
19. While you’ve got the gum you may as well buy a magazine and read it.
20. Check your email.
21. Check the newspaper listings to make sure you aren’t missing something truly worthwhile on TV.
22. Play some solitare.
23. Check out nowthatsnifty.blogspot.com.
24. Wash your hands.
25. Call up a friend to see how much they have done, probably haven’t started either.
26. Look through your roomate’s book of pictures from home. Ask who everyone is.
27. Sit down and do some serious thinking about your plans for the future.
28. Check to see if nowthatsnifty.blogspot.com has been updated yet.
29. Check your email and listen to your new mp3s.
30. You should be rebooting by now, assuming that windows is crashing on schedule.
31. Read over the assignment one more time, just for heck of it.
32. Scoot your chair across the room to the window and watch the sunrise.
33. Lie face down on the floor and moan.
34. Punch the wall and break something.
35. Check your email.
36. Mumble obscenities.
37. 5am – start writing on the paper without stopping. 6am – paper is finished.
38. Complain to everyone that you didn’t get any sleep because you had to write that stupid paper.
39. Go to class, hand in paper, and leave right away so you can take a nap.