Review of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

I saw GI Joe the Other day, with my Dad (my wife had no interest in going). I didn't go expecting much, or really, expecting to like it. When I first heard they were making a GI Joe movie, I was really excited, I mean, how cool is that? But when I saw the first previews, and who was in it, my excitement sort of plummeted.

Still, I had hope, and I gotta say, it wasn't half bad. There was lots, and lots of great action in this movie, with really sound special effects. From beginning to end, there was plenty of great military action, explosions, car chases, etc. It was the perfect film for munching popcorn, emptying your brain, and just having fun for a while.

That said, the acting by Channing Tatum and Marlon Wayans was awful, seriously, awful. They really did a poor job casting these guys. Wayans played this sort of goofy guy, that had a thing for Rachel Nichols' character, and it just didn't work. Tatum was supposed to be the main character, the tough guy, but he is simply an awful lead actor. He has those squinty eyes, and the depth of a kiddie pool. If you are into dudes, I guess he is handsome, but he is not a good actor.

But, Dennis Quaid was good, as usual, as was Christopher Eccleston.

There wasn't a ton of plot development, or character development, but that's ok, you don't really expect that from an action film.

Overall I would give this a 7 out of 10, and recommend seeing it in theaters, because this kind of action is best experienced on the big screen.

Plot Summary:
An elite military unit comprised of special operatives known as G.I. Joe, operating out of The Pit, takes on an evil organization led by a notorious arms dealer.

My Rating:
7 of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment