The Art of the Combover

A comb over or combover is a hairstyle worn by bald or balding men in which the hair on one side of the head is grown long and then combed over the bald area to minimize the display of baldness.

Such is the interest in this hairstyle that a one-hour documentary –Comb Over - the Movie – has been made about it.



At least be smart enough not to buzz the rest of your hair, to accent the length of the combover.




Perhaps the most famous of all combovers.


A classic case of the mismatched combover. Notice that the natural hair is gray, not brown.




A nice aerial view.


Wow. When you have to reach that far back to find some hair, you should probably just accept fate.






Carl Levin


The British footballer Bobby Charlton.




Always carry a comb in your pocket.




That's just sad. There isn't enough hair to cover even a tiny fraction of his head.




A variation of the combover (whereby baldness is concealed by long hairs combed in three separate directions) has a U.S. Patent 4,022,227 by Donald J. Smith and his father, Frank J. Smith, of Orlando, Florida.

Pictures:
(source) (source) (source) (source) (source) (source) (source) (source) (source) (source)

14 comments:

  1. Very nice.. I'll be needing one of these soon :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is going to grow a comb over to raise money for charity. The effort should be hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does one tell their man that they can't stand his combover? I have been going out with a very nice chap for a year but his combover is just about finishing me off! Like most, he is sensitive about it...HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell him that if he hasn't got it, don't flaunt it! I could grow my hair and comb it over my shiny pate but I've shaved my head completely. It's infinitely more preferably to be comfortable with what you (haven't) got than to pretend you've got it. Combovers say more about the insecurities of the men who have them than words ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!

    My name is Erin and I work at a national daytime talk show in New York City. We are looking for men who have this problem for an upcoming segment, and I would love to talk to anyone who might be interested ASAP. Please email me at efitzpatrick@kingworld.com, and I can give you more information about the show.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg... when will they realise bald is better. Women find it sexier... Jean-Luc Picard an all that. My husband has begun the balding bit like the monks and has been warned, any attempt at combover will be met by scissors when least expected.
    I don't know how you'd stop a combover user, therefore prevention is better than cure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bald men are NOT sexy whatsoever. Especially if they have a weird shaped head. But combovers are pathetic.

    Luckily for all 'you' baldies there are women out there that will love 'you' for YOU and not how much cranial fluff you have...unlike a lot of guys who spend their midlife crises trying to impress women barely out their teens with 'your' new car and ignoring 'your' wife who yes may have put a few pounds on and have a few wrinkles but 'you're' (fat and) bald...hardly the Looker of the Country 'you' live in!

    And IMO baldness is a small price to pay for men not having to have periods every month AND thus babies should a woman choose to have one. To all those men whining about losing their hair, 'you' want to swap that for periods and giving birth? *Resounding silence* No, I thought not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "How does one tell their man that they can't stand his combover?"

    Anonymous, just tell him that a real man has nothing to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "And IMO baldness is a small price to pay for men not having to have periods every month AND thus babies should a woman choose to have one. To all those men whining about losing their hair, 'you' want to swap that for periods and giving birth? *Resounding silence* No, I thought not. "

    It's DEFINITELY not that simple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. apparently you can stop your hair receding if you cut your balls off..... yea just gonna play the cards i was dealt nd shave my head in a couple years, unfair that it got me so early though im only 19 :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember combovers late in the 90's thanks for reminding me. If it gives them a bit of dignity, I have nothing against it. Bobby Charlton does not count as that is a vine hairstyle.

    ReplyDelete